Your Cart

Is Edibles Dangerous for Dogs?

As a pet owner, you want to keep your furry friends safe and healthy. If you are a cannabis enthusiast, you might have wondered about sharing your edibles with your dogs. After all, you might have heard that CBD can be beneficial for pets, so why not give them a taste of your pot brownies as well? However, before you do that, it’s important to know that edibles can be potentially dangerous for dogs. In this article, we will explore the reasons why, and what you can do to prevent any harm from happening to your beloved canine.

What are edibles?

Edibles are cannabis-infused food or drink products that contain THC or CBD. They can take many forms, including but not limited to brownies, gummies, chocolates, cookies, beverages, and tinctures. Edibles tend to have a delayed onset and longer duration of effects than smoking or vaping cannabis. The effects can vary depending on the dosage, potency, and individual tolerance, but they usually include relaxation, euphoria, heightened senses, altered perception of time and space, and increased appetite.

How do edibles affect dogs?

Dogs are particularly sensitive to THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis that can cause the “high” sensation. Unlike humans, dogs lack the enzyme necessary to metabolize THC efficiently, which means that it can accumulate in their system and lead to toxic effects. The symptoms of THC poisoning in dogs can range from mild to severe, depending on the amount ingested and the size and age of the dog.

Common signs of THC poisoning in dogs include:

  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Loss of coordination
  • Dilated pupils
  • Drooling and vomiting
  • Excessive thirst and urination
  • Rapid heart rate and breathing
  • Tremors and seizures

What should you do if your dog eats edibles?

If you suspect that your dog has ingested edibles or any cannabis product, it’s essential to seek veterinary care immediately. THC poisoning can be life-threatening for dogs, especially if left untreated. Even if you don’t see any symptoms yet, it’s better to err on the side of caution and get professional help.

When you take your dog to the vet, be honest about what happened and how much cannabis your dog might have consumed. Don’t be afraid of getting in trouble or judged for your actions; your priority is your dog’s well-being. The vet will likely perform a physical exam, run some blood tests, and monitor your dog’s vital signs. They might induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. In severe cases, they might need to hospitalize your dog and provide supportive care.

How can you prevent edibles from harming your dog?

Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to edibles and dogs. Here are some tips to keep your dog safe:

  • Store your edibles and cannabis products in a secure and inaccessible place. Dogs can be curious and resourceful, so don’t underestimate their ability to sniff out and reach your stash.
  • Don’t share your edibles with your dog, intentionally or accidentally. Keep them separate and away from your dog’s reach.
  • Be mindful of the signs of THC poisoning in dogs and seek help immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested edibles or any cannabis product.
  • Educate yourself and others about the risks and responsibilities of pet ownership and cannabis use. Spread awareness and advocate for pet-friendly cannabis policies.


Edibles can be a fun and enjoyable way to consume cannabis for humans, but they can be dangerous for dogs. THC poisoning in dogs can cause a range of symptoms, from mild to severe, and can be life-threatening if left untreated. Therefore, it’s crucial to prevent edibles from harming your dog by storing them securely, keeping them away from your dog, being vigilant about the signs of THC poisoning, and seeking veterinary care immediately if needed. As a responsible pet owner and cannabis user, you can enjoy the best of both worlds without compromising your dog’s health and safety.&

Leave a Reply
EMAIL: [email protected]